We present for the first time of a full three-dimensional (3-D) reconstruction of absorption images of breast from continuous-wave (cw) measurements performed on a premenopausal woman. Our 3-D optical images clearly reveal a large primary tumor as well as a small secondary tumor in a separate location of the breast. The multiple tumors identified by our 3-D optical imaging have been confirmed by the subsequent biopsy examination of the breast. Quantitative information of the optical images obtained is provided in terms of the location, size, and absorption coefficient of the tumors.
- Breast diffuse optical tomography
- Photon migration
- Three-dimensional image reconstruction
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Radiological and Ultrasound Technology
- Computer Science Applications
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering