Prognostic value of plasma fibrinogen in patients with acute coronary syndrome after percutaneous coronary intervention

Shangchao Ma, Shuguang Zhang, Tongwen Sun, Ziqi Liu, Xiaojuan Zhang, Haimu Yao, Qiong Wu, Fangxia Guan, Quancheng Kan

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

2 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Objective: To investigate the prognostic value of plasma fibrinogen (FIB) level in patients with acute coronary syndrome (ACS) undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI). Methods: A total of 1094 patients treated with PCI in Cardiology Department of the first Affiliated Hospital of Zhengzhou University, were enrolled in the prospective study from June 2009 through December 2010. In the first 24 hours after admission, patients' fasting plasma FIB and other relevant clinical data were collected. The patients were followed by calling or in the Out-Patient Department from August, 2012 to November, 2012. The primary end-point events of PCI were all-cause mortality. The secondary end-point events of PCI included acute myocardial infarction, coronary artery bypass grafting or readmission for angina pectoris, heart failure or stroke. The patients were divided into four groups according to their plasma FIB level; group 1 (PB (FIB) <2.95 g/L); group 2 (2.95 g/L≤PB (FIB) <3.39 g/L); group 3 (3.39 g/L≤PB (FIB) <4.01 g/L); and group 4 (PB (FIB) ≥4.01 g/L). The univariate and multivariate logistic regression analyse were used to explore factors associated with the prognosis. The survival rate was estimated by Kaplan-Meier survival curve. P <0. 05 was considered as statistically significant difference. Results: (1) Nine hundred ninety patients (90. 5%) were eventually followed-up. The mean followed-up time was (29. 3 ±4. 7) months. One hundred seventy (17. 2%) patients had adverse events occurred and 27 patients (2. 7%) died. (2) The incidences of total end point events were significantly increased with the increasing plasma FIB level in the four groups (12. 2%, 14. 9%, 20. 2%, 22. 8%, χ2 = 11.937, P=0. 008). (3) Multiple regression logistic analysis showed the incidences of total end point events in group 3 were increased by 1.611 times (OR = 1.611, 95% CI: 1.075-2.414, P = 0.021), and 1.616 times in group 4, compared with groupl. (4) Kaplan-Meier survival curve analysis showed there were significant differences in cumulative survival rates without adverse events among the four groups (P = 0. 02). Conclusions: The levels of plasma fasting FIB could be considered as a predictor of adverse events. The way of decreasing FIB levels in patients with ACS after PCI may be an effective approach to the improvement of outcome of patients.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)433-438
Number of pages6
JournalChinese Journal of Emergency Medicine
Volume23
Issue number4
DOIs
StatePublished - Apr 10 2014
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Percutaneous Coronary Intervention
Acute Coronary Syndrome
Fibrinogen
Kaplan-Meier Estimate
Fasting
Survival Rate
Regression Analysis
Patient Admission
Incidence
Angina Pectoris
Survival Analysis
Cardiology
Coronary Artery Bypass
Outpatients
Heart Failure
Logistic Models
Stroke
Myocardial Infarction
Prospective Studies
Mortality

Keywords

  • Acute coronary syndrome
  • Acute phase protein
  • Endpoint
  • Endpoint events
  • Fibrinogen
  • Major adverse cardiac events
  • Percutaneous coronary intervention
  • Prognosis
  • Restenosis after percutaneous coronary intervention

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Emergency Medicine
  • Emergency

Cite this

Prognostic value of plasma fibrinogen in patients with acute coronary syndrome after percutaneous coronary intervention. / Ma, Shangchao; Zhang, Shuguang; Sun, Tongwen; Liu, Ziqi; Zhang, Xiaojuan; Yao, Haimu; Wu, Qiong; Guan, Fangxia; Kan, Quancheng.

In: Chinese Journal of Emergency Medicine, Vol. 23, No. 4, 10.04.2014, p. 433-438.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Ma, Shangchao ; Zhang, Shuguang ; Sun, Tongwen ; Liu, Ziqi ; Zhang, Xiaojuan ; Yao, Haimu ; Wu, Qiong ; Guan, Fangxia ; Kan, Quancheng. / Prognostic value of plasma fibrinogen in patients with acute coronary syndrome after percutaneous coronary intervention. In: Chinese Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2014 ; Vol. 23, No. 4. pp. 433-438.
@article{78fca7e51aac40f3bd46a17ca499494a,
title = "Prognostic value of plasma fibrinogen in patients with acute coronary syndrome after percutaneous coronary intervention",
abstract = "Objective: To investigate the prognostic value of plasma fibrinogen (FIB) level in patients with acute coronary syndrome (ACS) undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI). Methods: A total of 1094 patients treated with PCI in Cardiology Department of the first Affiliated Hospital of Zhengzhou University, were enrolled in the prospective study from June 2009 through December 2010. In the first 24 hours after admission, patients' fasting plasma FIB and other relevant clinical data were collected. The patients were followed by calling or in the Out-Patient Department from August, 2012 to November, 2012. The primary end-point events of PCI were all-cause mortality. The secondary end-point events of PCI included acute myocardial infarction, coronary artery bypass grafting or readmission for angina pectoris, heart failure or stroke. The patients were divided into four groups according to their plasma FIB level; group 1 (PB (FIB) <2.95 g/L); group 2 (2.95 g/L≤PB (FIB) <3.39 g/L); group 3 (3.39 g/L≤PB (FIB) <4.01 g/L); and group 4 (PB (FIB) ≥4.01 g/L). The univariate and multivariate logistic regression analyse were used to explore factors associated with the prognosis. The survival rate was estimated by Kaplan-Meier survival curve. P <0. 05 was considered as statistically significant difference. Results: (1) Nine hundred ninety patients (90. 5{\%}) were eventually followed-up. The mean followed-up time was (29. 3 ±4. 7) months. One hundred seventy (17. 2{\%}) patients had adverse events occurred and 27 patients (2. 7{\%}) died. (2) The incidences of total end point events were significantly increased with the increasing plasma FIB level in the four groups (12. 2{\%}, 14. 9{\%}, 20. 2{\%}, 22. 8{\%}, χ2 = 11.937, P=0. 008). (3) Multiple regression logistic analysis showed the incidences of total end point events in group 3 were increased by 1.611 times (OR = 1.611, 95{\%} CI: 1.075-2.414, P = 0.021), and 1.616 times in group 4, compared with groupl. (4) Kaplan-Meier survival curve analysis showed there were significant differences in cumulative survival rates without adverse events among the four groups (P = 0. 02). Conclusions: The levels of plasma fasting FIB could be considered as a predictor of adverse events. The way of decreasing FIB levels in patients with ACS after PCI may be an effective approach to the improvement of outcome of patients.",
keywords = "Acute coronary syndrome, Acute phase protein, Endpoint, Endpoint events, Fibrinogen, Major adverse cardiac events, Percutaneous coronary intervention, Prognosis, Restenosis after percutaneous coronary intervention",
author = "Shangchao Ma and Shuguang Zhang and Tongwen Sun and Ziqi Liu and Xiaojuan Zhang and Haimu Yao and Qiong Wu and Fangxia Guan and Quancheng Kan",
year = "2014",
month = "4",
day = "10",
doi = "10.3760/cma.j.issn.1671-0282.2014.04.019",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "23",
pages = "433--438",
journal = "Chinese Journal of Emergency Medicine",
issn = "1671-0282",
publisher = "Chinese Medical Association",
number = "4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Prognostic value of plasma fibrinogen in patients with acute coronary syndrome after percutaneous coronary intervention

AU - Ma, Shangchao

AU - Zhang, Shuguang

AU - Sun, Tongwen

AU - Liu, Ziqi

AU - Zhang, Xiaojuan

AU - Yao, Haimu

AU - Wu, Qiong

AU - Guan, Fangxia

AU - Kan, Quancheng

PY - 2014/4/10

Y1 - 2014/4/10

N2 - Objective: To investigate the prognostic value of plasma fibrinogen (FIB) level in patients with acute coronary syndrome (ACS) undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI). Methods: A total of 1094 patients treated with PCI in Cardiology Department of the first Affiliated Hospital of Zhengzhou University, were enrolled in the prospective study from June 2009 through December 2010. In the first 24 hours after admission, patients' fasting plasma FIB and other relevant clinical data were collected. The patients were followed by calling or in the Out-Patient Department from August, 2012 to November, 2012. The primary end-point events of PCI were all-cause mortality. The secondary end-point events of PCI included acute myocardial infarction, coronary artery bypass grafting or readmission for angina pectoris, heart failure or stroke. The patients were divided into four groups according to their plasma FIB level; group 1 (PB (FIB) <2.95 g/L); group 2 (2.95 g/L≤PB (FIB) <3.39 g/L); group 3 (3.39 g/L≤PB (FIB) <4.01 g/L); and group 4 (PB (FIB) ≥4.01 g/L). The univariate and multivariate logistic regression analyse were used to explore factors associated with the prognosis. The survival rate was estimated by Kaplan-Meier survival curve. P <0. 05 was considered as statistically significant difference. Results: (1) Nine hundred ninety patients (90. 5%) were eventually followed-up. The mean followed-up time was (29. 3 ±4. 7) months. One hundred seventy (17. 2%) patients had adverse events occurred and 27 patients (2. 7%) died. (2) The incidences of total end point events were significantly increased with the increasing plasma FIB level in the four groups (12. 2%, 14. 9%, 20. 2%, 22. 8%, χ2 = 11.937, P=0. 008). (3) Multiple regression logistic analysis showed the incidences of total end point events in group 3 were increased by 1.611 times (OR = 1.611, 95% CI: 1.075-2.414, P = 0.021), and 1.616 times in group 4, compared with groupl. (4) Kaplan-Meier survival curve analysis showed there were significant differences in cumulative survival rates without adverse events among the four groups (P = 0. 02). Conclusions: The levels of plasma fasting FIB could be considered as a predictor of adverse events. The way of decreasing FIB levels in patients with ACS after PCI may be an effective approach to the improvement of outcome of patients.

AB - Objective: To investigate the prognostic value of plasma fibrinogen (FIB) level in patients with acute coronary syndrome (ACS) undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI). Methods: A total of 1094 patients treated with PCI in Cardiology Department of the first Affiliated Hospital of Zhengzhou University, were enrolled in the prospective study from June 2009 through December 2010. In the first 24 hours after admission, patients' fasting plasma FIB and other relevant clinical data were collected. The patients were followed by calling or in the Out-Patient Department from August, 2012 to November, 2012. The primary end-point events of PCI were all-cause mortality. The secondary end-point events of PCI included acute myocardial infarction, coronary artery bypass grafting or readmission for angina pectoris, heart failure or stroke. The patients were divided into four groups according to their plasma FIB level; group 1 (PB (FIB) <2.95 g/L); group 2 (2.95 g/L≤PB (FIB) <3.39 g/L); group 3 (3.39 g/L≤PB (FIB) <4.01 g/L); and group 4 (PB (FIB) ≥4.01 g/L). The univariate and multivariate logistic regression analyse were used to explore factors associated with the prognosis. The survival rate was estimated by Kaplan-Meier survival curve. P <0. 05 was considered as statistically significant difference. Results: (1) Nine hundred ninety patients (90. 5%) were eventually followed-up. The mean followed-up time was (29. 3 ±4. 7) months. One hundred seventy (17. 2%) patients had adverse events occurred and 27 patients (2. 7%) died. (2) The incidences of total end point events were significantly increased with the increasing plasma FIB level in the four groups (12. 2%, 14. 9%, 20. 2%, 22. 8%, χ2 = 11.937, P=0. 008). (3) Multiple regression logistic analysis showed the incidences of total end point events in group 3 were increased by 1.611 times (OR = 1.611, 95% CI: 1.075-2.414, P = 0.021), and 1.616 times in group 4, compared with groupl. (4) Kaplan-Meier survival curve analysis showed there were significant differences in cumulative survival rates without adverse events among the four groups (P = 0. 02). Conclusions: The levels of plasma fasting FIB could be considered as a predictor of adverse events. The way of decreasing FIB levels in patients with ACS after PCI may be an effective approach to the improvement of outcome of patients.

KW - Acute coronary syndrome

KW - Acute phase protein

KW - Endpoint

KW - Endpoint events

KW - Fibrinogen

KW - Major adverse cardiac events

KW - Percutaneous coronary intervention

KW - Prognosis

KW - Restenosis after percutaneous coronary intervention

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84903738888&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84903738888&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.3760/cma.j.issn.1671-0282.2014.04.019

DO - 10.3760/cma.j.issn.1671-0282.2014.04.019

M3 - Article

VL - 23

SP - 433

EP - 438

JO - Chinese Journal of Emergency Medicine

JF - Chinese Journal of Emergency Medicine

SN - 1671-0282

IS - 4

ER -