Management of severe hyponatremia with low-dose continuous kidney replacement therapy and peripheral D5W in an infant with acute kidney injury

Abby Miriam Basalely, Minh Dien Duong, Diane Liu, Anna Zolotnitskaya

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

We report a 7-month-old female infant who presented with anuric acute kidney injury and severe hyponatremia (serum sodium 110 mEq/L). The patient was treated with low-dose continuous kidney replacement therapy (CKRT), that is, 85% of total clearance dose divided equally between normonatric (Na 140 mEq/L) replacement and dialysate fluids. The remaining 15% of the clearance was provided by peripheral infusion of dextrose 5% (D5W). The patient's sodium was maintained between 119 mEq/L and 121 mEq/L for the first 24 hours of CKRT. Over the next 2 days, the rate of D5W infusion was slowly decreased while replacement and dialysis flow rates were proportionately increased. Serum sodium was normalised by day 2 of the therapy. The patient had no neurologic sequelae associated with this therapy.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Article numbere240308
JournalBMJ case reports
Volume14
Issue number7
DOIs
StatePublished - Jul 2 2021

Keywords

  • acute renal failure
  • dialysis
  • fluid electrolyte and acid-base disturbances
  • paediatric intensive care
  • paediatrics (drugs and medicines)

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Medicine(all)

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Management of severe hyponatremia with low-dose continuous kidney replacement therapy and peripheral D5W in an infant with acute kidney injury'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this