Latent typologies of posttraumatic stress disorder in World Trade Center responders

Sarah R. Horn, Robert H. Pietrzak, Clyde B. Schechter, Evelyn J. Bromet, Craig L. Katz, Dori B. Reissman, Roman Kotov, Michael Crane, Denise J. Harrison, Robin Herbert, Benjamin J. Luft, Jacqueline M. Moline, Jeanne M. Stellman, Iris G. Udasin, Philip J. Landrigan, Michael J. Zvolensky, Steven M. Southwick, Adriana Feder

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

5 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a debilitating and often chronic psychiatric disorder. Following the 9/11/2001 World Trade Center (WTC) attacks, thousands of individuals were involved in rescue, recovery and clean-up efforts. While a growing body of literature has documented the prevalence and correlates of PTSD in WTC responders, no study has evaluated predominant typologies of PTSD in this population. Participants were 4352 WTC responders with probable WTC-related DSM-IV PTSD. Latent class analyses were conducted to identify predominant typologies of PTSD symptoms and associated correlates. A 3-class solution provided the optimal representation of latent PTSD symptom typologies. The first class, labeled “High-Symptom (n = 1,973, 45.3%),” was characterized by high probabilities of all PTSD symptoms. The second class, “Dysphoric (n = 1,371, 31.5%),” exhibited relatively high probabilities of emotional numbing and dysphoric arousal (e.g., sleep disturbance). The third class, “Threat (n = 1,008, 23.2%),” was characterized by high probabilities of re-experiencing, avoidance and anxious arousal (e.g., hypervigilance). Compared to the Threat class, the Dysphoric class reported a greater number of life stressors after 9/11/2001 (OR = 1.06). The High-Symptom class was more likely than the Threat class to have a positive psychiatric history before 9/11/2001 (OR = 1.7) and reported a greater number of life stressors after 9/11/2001 (OR = 1.1). The High-Symptom class was more likely than the Dysphoric class, which was more likely than the Threat class, to screen positive for depression (83% > 74% > 53%, respectively), and to report greater functional impairment (High-Symptom > Dysphoric [Cohen d = 0.19], Dysphoric > Threat [Cohen d = 0.24]). These results may help inform assessment, risk stratification, and treatment approaches for PTSD in WTC and disaster responders.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)151-159
Number of pages9
JournalJournal of Psychiatric Research
Volume83
DOIs
StatePublished - Dec 1 2016

Fingerprint

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorders
Arousal
Psychiatry
September 11 Terrorist Attacks
World Trade Center
Disasters
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders
Sleep
Anxiety
Depression
Threat
Population

Keywords

  • Latent class analysis (LCA)
  • Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
  • Typologies
  • World Trade Center (WTC)

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Arts and Humanities (miscellaneous)
  • Psychiatry and Mental health
  • Biological Psychiatry

Cite this

Latent typologies of posttraumatic stress disorder in World Trade Center responders. / Horn, Sarah R.; Pietrzak, Robert H.; Schechter, Clyde B.; Bromet, Evelyn J.; Katz, Craig L.; Reissman, Dori B.; Kotov, Roman; Crane, Michael; Harrison, Denise J.; Herbert, Robin; Luft, Benjamin J.; Moline, Jacqueline M.; Stellman, Jeanne M.; Udasin, Iris G.; Landrigan, Philip J.; Zvolensky, Michael J.; Southwick, Steven M.; Feder, Adriana.

In: Journal of Psychiatric Research, Vol. 83, 01.12.2016, p. 151-159.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Horn, SR, Pietrzak, RH, Schechter, CB, Bromet, EJ, Katz, CL, Reissman, DB, Kotov, R, Crane, M, Harrison, DJ, Herbert, R, Luft, BJ, Moline, JM, Stellman, JM, Udasin, IG, Landrigan, PJ, Zvolensky, MJ, Southwick, SM & Feder, A 2016, 'Latent typologies of posttraumatic stress disorder in World Trade Center responders', Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol. 83, pp. 151-159. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychires.2016.08.018
Horn, Sarah R. ; Pietrzak, Robert H. ; Schechter, Clyde B. ; Bromet, Evelyn J. ; Katz, Craig L. ; Reissman, Dori B. ; Kotov, Roman ; Crane, Michael ; Harrison, Denise J. ; Herbert, Robin ; Luft, Benjamin J. ; Moline, Jacqueline M. ; Stellman, Jeanne M. ; Udasin, Iris G. ; Landrigan, Philip J. ; Zvolensky, Michael J. ; Southwick, Steven M. ; Feder, Adriana. / Latent typologies of posttraumatic stress disorder in World Trade Center responders. In: Journal of Psychiatric Research. 2016 ; Vol. 83. pp. 151-159.
@article{726cf90d62264171bfb1bb8d57648c0e,
title = "Latent typologies of posttraumatic stress disorder in World Trade Center responders",
abstract = "Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a debilitating and often chronic psychiatric disorder. Following the 9/11/2001 World Trade Center (WTC) attacks, thousands of individuals were involved in rescue, recovery and clean-up efforts. While a growing body of literature has documented the prevalence and correlates of PTSD in WTC responders, no study has evaluated predominant typologies of PTSD in this population. Participants were 4352 WTC responders with probable WTC-related DSM-IV PTSD. Latent class analyses were conducted to identify predominant typologies of PTSD symptoms and associated correlates. A 3-class solution provided the optimal representation of latent PTSD symptom typologies. The first class, labeled “High-Symptom (n = 1,973, 45.3{\%}),” was characterized by high probabilities of all PTSD symptoms. The second class, “Dysphoric (n = 1,371, 31.5{\%}),” exhibited relatively high probabilities of emotional numbing and dysphoric arousal (e.g., sleep disturbance). The third class, “Threat (n = 1,008, 23.2{\%}),” was characterized by high probabilities of re-experiencing, avoidance and anxious arousal (e.g., hypervigilance). Compared to the Threat class, the Dysphoric class reported a greater number of life stressors after 9/11/2001 (OR = 1.06). The High-Symptom class was more likely than the Threat class to have a positive psychiatric history before 9/11/2001 (OR = 1.7) and reported a greater number of life stressors after 9/11/2001 (OR = 1.1). The High-Symptom class was more likely than the Dysphoric class, which was more likely than the Threat class, to screen positive for depression (83{\%} > 74{\%} > 53{\%}, respectively), and to report greater functional impairment (High-Symptom > Dysphoric [Cohen d = 0.19], Dysphoric > Threat [Cohen d = 0.24]). These results may help inform assessment, risk stratification, and treatment approaches for PTSD in WTC and disaster responders.",
keywords = "Latent class analysis (LCA), Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), Typologies, World Trade Center (WTC)",
author = "Horn, {Sarah R.} and Pietrzak, {Robert H.} and Schechter, {Clyde B.} and Bromet, {Evelyn J.} and Katz, {Craig L.} and Reissman, {Dori B.} and Roman Kotov and Michael Crane and Harrison, {Denise J.} and Robin Herbert and Luft, {Benjamin J.} and Moline, {Jacqueline M.} and Stellman, {Jeanne M.} and Udasin, {Iris G.} and Landrigan, {Philip J.} and Zvolensky, {Michael J.} and Southwick, {Steven M.} and Adriana Feder",
year = "2016",
month = "12",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1016/j.jpsychires.2016.08.018",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "83",
pages = "151--159",
journal = "Journal of Psychiatric Research",
issn = "0022-3956",
publisher = "Elsevier Limited",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Latent typologies of posttraumatic stress disorder in World Trade Center responders

AU - Horn, Sarah R.

AU - Pietrzak, Robert H.

AU - Schechter, Clyde B.

AU - Bromet, Evelyn J.

AU - Katz, Craig L.

AU - Reissman, Dori B.

AU - Kotov, Roman

AU - Crane, Michael

AU - Harrison, Denise J.

AU - Herbert, Robin

AU - Luft, Benjamin J.

AU - Moline, Jacqueline M.

AU - Stellman, Jeanne M.

AU - Udasin, Iris G.

AU - Landrigan, Philip J.

AU - Zvolensky, Michael J.

AU - Southwick, Steven M.

AU - Feder, Adriana

PY - 2016/12/1

Y1 - 2016/12/1

N2 - Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a debilitating and often chronic psychiatric disorder. Following the 9/11/2001 World Trade Center (WTC) attacks, thousands of individuals were involved in rescue, recovery and clean-up efforts. While a growing body of literature has documented the prevalence and correlates of PTSD in WTC responders, no study has evaluated predominant typologies of PTSD in this population. Participants were 4352 WTC responders with probable WTC-related DSM-IV PTSD. Latent class analyses were conducted to identify predominant typologies of PTSD symptoms and associated correlates. A 3-class solution provided the optimal representation of latent PTSD symptom typologies. The first class, labeled “High-Symptom (n = 1,973, 45.3%),” was characterized by high probabilities of all PTSD symptoms. The second class, “Dysphoric (n = 1,371, 31.5%),” exhibited relatively high probabilities of emotional numbing and dysphoric arousal (e.g., sleep disturbance). The third class, “Threat (n = 1,008, 23.2%),” was characterized by high probabilities of re-experiencing, avoidance and anxious arousal (e.g., hypervigilance). Compared to the Threat class, the Dysphoric class reported a greater number of life stressors after 9/11/2001 (OR = 1.06). The High-Symptom class was more likely than the Threat class to have a positive psychiatric history before 9/11/2001 (OR = 1.7) and reported a greater number of life stressors after 9/11/2001 (OR = 1.1). The High-Symptom class was more likely than the Dysphoric class, which was more likely than the Threat class, to screen positive for depression (83% > 74% > 53%, respectively), and to report greater functional impairment (High-Symptom > Dysphoric [Cohen d = 0.19], Dysphoric > Threat [Cohen d = 0.24]). These results may help inform assessment, risk stratification, and treatment approaches for PTSD in WTC and disaster responders.

AB - Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a debilitating and often chronic psychiatric disorder. Following the 9/11/2001 World Trade Center (WTC) attacks, thousands of individuals were involved in rescue, recovery and clean-up efforts. While a growing body of literature has documented the prevalence and correlates of PTSD in WTC responders, no study has evaluated predominant typologies of PTSD in this population. Participants were 4352 WTC responders with probable WTC-related DSM-IV PTSD. Latent class analyses were conducted to identify predominant typologies of PTSD symptoms and associated correlates. A 3-class solution provided the optimal representation of latent PTSD symptom typologies. The first class, labeled “High-Symptom (n = 1,973, 45.3%),” was characterized by high probabilities of all PTSD symptoms. The second class, “Dysphoric (n = 1,371, 31.5%),” exhibited relatively high probabilities of emotional numbing and dysphoric arousal (e.g., sleep disturbance). The third class, “Threat (n = 1,008, 23.2%),” was characterized by high probabilities of re-experiencing, avoidance and anxious arousal (e.g., hypervigilance). Compared to the Threat class, the Dysphoric class reported a greater number of life stressors after 9/11/2001 (OR = 1.06). The High-Symptom class was more likely than the Threat class to have a positive psychiatric history before 9/11/2001 (OR = 1.7) and reported a greater number of life stressors after 9/11/2001 (OR = 1.1). The High-Symptom class was more likely than the Dysphoric class, which was more likely than the Threat class, to screen positive for depression (83% > 74% > 53%, respectively), and to report greater functional impairment (High-Symptom > Dysphoric [Cohen d = 0.19], Dysphoric > Threat [Cohen d = 0.24]). These results may help inform assessment, risk stratification, and treatment approaches for PTSD in WTC and disaster responders.

KW - Latent class analysis (LCA)

KW - Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)

KW - Typologies

KW - World Trade Center (WTC)

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84986881685&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84986881685&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/j.jpsychires.2016.08.018

DO - 10.1016/j.jpsychires.2016.08.018

M3 - Article

C2 - 27623049

AN - SCOPUS:84986881685

VL - 83

SP - 151

EP - 159

JO - Journal of Psychiatric Research

JF - Journal of Psychiatric Research

SN - 0022-3956

ER -