Ingested magnets: The force within

Ee Tein Tay, Gerard Weinberg, Terry L. Levin

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

31 Scopus citations


Foreign body ingestion is a common occurrence in children. Morbidity associated with ingestion is rare and is dependent on the type of foreign body ingested. We report a case of a 9-year-old boy who developed intestinal obstruction and perforation following ingestion of magnetic-backed earrings.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)466-467
Number of pages2
JournalPediatric Emergency Care
Issue number7
Publication statusPublished - Jul 1 2004



  • Foreign body
  • Intestinal obstruction
  • Magnet ingestion

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Pediatrics, Perinatology, and Child Health
  • Emergency Medicine

Cite this