Atrial fibrillation inducibility during cavo-tricuspid isthmus dependent atrial flutter ablation for the prediction of clinical atrial fibrillation

Jorge E. Romero, Rodolfo Estrada, Anthony Holmes, David Goodman-Meza, Juan Carlos Diaz, David Briceño, Saurabh Kumar, Samuel H. Baldinger, Carolina R. Valencia, Norman Roth, John Devens Fisher, Jay N. Gross, Andrew K. Krumerman, Kevin J. Ferrick, Soo G. Kim, Ileana L. Pina, Mario J. Garcia, Luigi Di Biase

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

4 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background Atrial fibrillation (AF) and cavo-tricuspid isthmus (CTI) dependent atrial flutter (AFL) are two separate entities that coexist in a significant percentage of patients. Methods We sought to investigate whether AF inducibility during CTI AFL ablation predicted the occurrence of AF at follow up after AFL ablation. Univariate and multivariate analyses were performed. Results A total of 154 patients (male: 72%, age: 61 ± 13) with AFL and without history of AF were included. All patients underwent successful CTI dependent AFL ablation demonstrated by bidirectional block. During ablation, AF was seen or induced in 28 (18%) patients. After a mean follow up of 34 ± 24 months a total of 50 patients (32%) were noted with clinically manifest AF. From the patients who had inducible AF during AFL ablation, 50% developed post-procedural AF. From those in whom AF could not be induced, only 29% were documented with AF after ablation. Univariate and multivariate analyses revealed that only age and AF inducibility during AFL ablation were predictors of AF. Univariate analysis (age p = 0.038 and inducible AF p = 0.032 with odds ratio of 1.030 [95% CI (1.002–1.059)] and 2.500 [95% CI (1.084–5.765)], respectively) and multivariate analyses (age p = 0.011 and inducible AF p = 0.016 with adjusted odds ratio of 1.043 [95% CI (1.010–1.077)] and 3.293 [95% CI (1.250–8.676)], respectively). Conclusion AF inducibility in patients undergoing CTI AFL without history of AF is a strong predictor of AF occurrence in the future. Appropriate cardiology follow-up must be encouraged in this high-risk population as stroke prevention strategies can be appropriately introduced in a timely matter especially in patients with elevated CHA2DS2-VASc scores (≥ 2).

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)246-250
Number of pages5
JournalInternational Journal of Cardiology
Volume240
DOIs
StatePublished - Aug 1 2017

Fingerprint

Atrial Flutter
Atrial Fibrillation
Multivariate Analysis
Odds Ratio

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Medicine(all)
  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine

Cite this

Atrial fibrillation inducibility during cavo-tricuspid isthmus dependent atrial flutter ablation for the prediction of clinical atrial fibrillation. / Romero, Jorge E.; Estrada, Rodolfo; Holmes, Anthony; Goodman-Meza, David; Diaz, Juan Carlos; Briceño, David; Kumar, Saurabh; Baldinger, Samuel H.; Valencia, Carolina R.; Roth, Norman; Fisher, John Devens; Gross, Jay N.; Krumerman, Andrew K.; Ferrick, Kevin J.; Kim, Soo G.; Pina, Ileana L.; Garcia, Mario J.; Di Biase, Luigi.

In: International Journal of Cardiology, Vol. 240, 01.08.2017, p. 246-250.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{667ba25ef7c344aca34b3b899b29115e,
title = "Atrial fibrillation inducibility during cavo-tricuspid isthmus dependent atrial flutter ablation for the prediction of clinical atrial fibrillation",
abstract = "Background Atrial fibrillation (AF) and cavo-tricuspid isthmus (CTI) dependent atrial flutter (AFL) are two separate entities that coexist in a significant percentage of patients. Methods We sought to investigate whether AF inducibility during CTI AFL ablation predicted the occurrence of AF at follow up after AFL ablation. Univariate and multivariate analyses were performed. Results A total of 154 patients (male: 72{\%}, age: 61 ± 13) with AFL and without history of AF were included. All patients underwent successful CTI dependent AFL ablation demonstrated by bidirectional block. During ablation, AF was seen or induced in 28 (18{\%}) patients. After a mean follow up of 34 ± 24 months a total of 50 patients (32{\%}) were noted with clinically manifest AF. From the patients who had inducible AF during AFL ablation, 50{\%} developed post-procedural AF. From those in whom AF could not be induced, only 29{\%} were documented with AF after ablation. Univariate and multivariate analyses revealed that only age and AF inducibility during AFL ablation were predictors of AF. Univariate analysis (age p = 0.038 and inducible AF p = 0.032 with odds ratio of 1.030 [95{\%} CI (1.002–1.059)] and 2.500 [95{\%} CI (1.084–5.765)], respectively) and multivariate analyses (age p = 0.011 and inducible AF p = 0.016 with adjusted odds ratio of 1.043 [95{\%} CI (1.010–1.077)] and 3.293 [95{\%} CI (1.250–8.676)], respectively). Conclusion AF inducibility in patients undergoing CTI AFL without history of AF is a strong predictor of AF occurrence in the future. Appropriate cardiology follow-up must be encouraged in this high-risk population as stroke prevention strategies can be appropriately introduced in a timely matter especially in patients with elevated CHA2DS2-VASc scores (≥ 2).",
author = "Romero, {Jorge E.} and Rodolfo Estrada and Anthony Holmes and David Goodman-Meza and Diaz, {Juan Carlos} and David Brice{\~n}o and Saurabh Kumar and Baldinger, {Samuel H.} and Valencia, {Carolina R.} and Norman Roth and Fisher, {John Devens} and Gross, {Jay N.} and Krumerman, {Andrew K.} and Ferrick, {Kevin J.} and Kim, {Soo G.} and Pina, {Ileana L.} and Garcia, {Mario J.} and {Di Biase}, Luigi",
year = "2017",
month = "8",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1016/j.ijcard.2017.01.131",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "240",
pages = "246--250",
journal = "International Journal of Cardiology",
issn = "0167-5273",
publisher = "Elsevier Ireland Ltd",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Atrial fibrillation inducibility during cavo-tricuspid isthmus dependent atrial flutter ablation for the prediction of clinical atrial fibrillation

AU - Romero, Jorge E.

AU - Estrada, Rodolfo

AU - Holmes, Anthony

AU - Goodman-Meza, David

AU - Diaz, Juan Carlos

AU - Briceño, David

AU - Kumar, Saurabh

AU - Baldinger, Samuel H.

AU - Valencia, Carolina R.

AU - Roth, Norman

AU - Fisher, John Devens

AU - Gross, Jay N.

AU - Krumerman, Andrew K.

AU - Ferrick, Kevin J.

AU - Kim, Soo G.

AU - Pina, Ileana L.

AU - Garcia, Mario J.

AU - Di Biase, Luigi

PY - 2017/8/1

Y1 - 2017/8/1

N2 - Background Atrial fibrillation (AF) and cavo-tricuspid isthmus (CTI) dependent atrial flutter (AFL) are two separate entities that coexist in a significant percentage of patients. Methods We sought to investigate whether AF inducibility during CTI AFL ablation predicted the occurrence of AF at follow up after AFL ablation. Univariate and multivariate analyses were performed. Results A total of 154 patients (male: 72%, age: 61 ± 13) with AFL and without history of AF were included. All patients underwent successful CTI dependent AFL ablation demonstrated by bidirectional block. During ablation, AF was seen or induced in 28 (18%) patients. After a mean follow up of 34 ± 24 months a total of 50 patients (32%) were noted with clinically manifest AF. From the patients who had inducible AF during AFL ablation, 50% developed post-procedural AF. From those in whom AF could not be induced, only 29% were documented with AF after ablation. Univariate and multivariate analyses revealed that only age and AF inducibility during AFL ablation were predictors of AF. Univariate analysis (age p = 0.038 and inducible AF p = 0.032 with odds ratio of 1.030 [95% CI (1.002–1.059)] and 2.500 [95% CI (1.084–5.765)], respectively) and multivariate analyses (age p = 0.011 and inducible AF p = 0.016 with adjusted odds ratio of 1.043 [95% CI (1.010–1.077)] and 3.293 [95% CI (1.250–8.676)], respectively). Conclusion AF inducibility in patients undergoing CTI AFL without history of AF is a strong predictor of AF occurrence in the future. Appropriate cardiology follow-up must be encouraged in this high-risk population as stroke prevention strategies can be appropriately introduced in a timely matter especially in patients with elevated CHA2DS2-VASc scores (≥ 2).

AB - Background Atrial fibrillation (AF) and cavo-tricuspid isthmus (CTI) dependent atrial flutter (AFL) are two separate entities that coexist in a significant percentage of patients. Methods We sought to investigate whether AF inducibility during CTI AFL ablation predicted the occurrence of AF at follow up after AFL ablation. Univariate and multivariate analyses were performed. Results A total of 154 patients (male: 72%, age: 61 ± 13) with AFL and without history of AF were included. All patients underwent successful CTI dependent AFL ablation demonstrated by bidirectional block. During ablation, AF was seen or induced in 28 (18%) patients. After a mean follow up of 34 ± 24 months a total of 50 patients (32%) were noted with clinically manifest AF. From the patients who had inducible AF during AFL ablation, 50% developed post-procedural AF. From those in whom AF could not be induced, only 29% were documented with AF after ablation. Univariate and multivariate analyses revealed that only age and AF inducibility during AFL ablation were predictors of AF. Univariate analysis (age p = 0.038 and inducible AF p = 0.032 with odds ratio of 1.030 [95% CI (1.002–1.059)] and 2.500 [95% CI (1.084–5.765)], respectively) and multivariate analyses (age p = 0.011 and inducible AF p = 0.016 with adjusted odds ratio of 1.043 [95% CI (1.010–1.077)] and 3.293 [95% CI (1.250–8.676)], respectively). Conclusion AF inducibility in patients undergoing CTI AFL without history of AF is a strong predictor of AF occurrence in the future. Appropriate cardiology follow-up must be encouraged in this high-risk population as stroke prevention strategies can be appropriately introduced in a timely matter especially in patients with elevated CHA2DS2-VASc scores (≥ 2).

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85020450852&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=85020450852&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/j.ijcard.2017.01.131

DO - 10.1016/j.ijcard.2017.01.131

M3 - Article

VL - 240

SP - 246

EP - 250

JO - International Journal of Cardiology

JF - International Journal of Cardiology

SN - 0167-5273

ER -