The relation between polyphenols and body composition in US Hispanics/Latinos: Results from the Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos (HCHS/SOL) Study of Latinos Nutrition And Physical Activity Assessment Study (SOLNAS)

Nour Makarem, Yasmin Mossavar-Rahmani, Daniela Sotres-Alvarez, Simin Hua, William W. Wong, Linda Van Horn, Martha L. Daviglus, Adrian A. Franke, Marc D. Gellman, Robert C.Kaplan, Jeannette M. Beasley

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Background: Polyphenols offer high antioxidant potential that may protect against chronic diseases. Epidemiologic evidence documenting their influence on body composition and obesity risk is limited, particularly among Hispanics/Latinos who are disproportionately prone to obesity. Objectives: The aims of this study were to evaluate cross-sectional associations of urinary polyphenols with body mass index (BMI) and body fat percentage (%BF) in a diverse Hispanic/ Latino population and to assess the reliability of polyphenol measurements. Methods: Participants were 442 adults from the Study of Latinos/Nutrition and Physical Activity Assessment Study (SOLNAS) aged 18-74 y. Doubly labeled water was used as an objective recovery biomarker of energy. Polyphenol excretion from 24-h urine samples was assessed. Measures were repeated in a subsample (n = 90) to provide a reliability measure. Anthropometric measures were obtained by trained personnel, and %BF was measured by 18 O dilution. Linear regression models were used to evaluate multivariable associations between body composition and polyphenols. Spearman correlation coefficients between BMI and %BF with polyphenols and intraclass correlation coefficients (ICCs) between polyphenol measures were computed. Results: A weak correlation was observed for resveratrol and %BF (r = -0.11, P = 0.02). In multivariable-adjusted regression models, weak inverse associations were observed for resveratrol and urolithin A with %BF [β ± SE: -0.010 ± 0.004 (P = 0.007) and -0.004 ± 0.002 (P = 0.03), respectively]. For every 50% increase in these urinary polyphenols, there was a 1%and 0.4% decrease in %BF. Urolithin A was inversely associated with BMI ( β ± SE:-0.004 ± 0.002; P = 0.02) and with 5% lower odds of obesity in models not adjusted for total energy expenditure (TEE; OR: 0.95; 95% CI: 0.91, 0.99; P = 0.02). For every 50% increase in urolithin A, there was a 0.4-unit decrease in BMI. Associations were attenuated after adjustment for TEE. Reliability study findings were indicative of weak to moderate correlations (ICCs: 0.11-0.65), representing a degree of within-person variation in polyphenol biomarkers. Conclusions: Although associations were weak, resveratrol and urolithin A were inversely associated with obesity. Repeated polyphenol urine measures could clarify their long-term impact on body adiposity.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Article numbere001115
JournalCurrent Developments in Nutrition
Volume1
Issue number11
DOIs
StatePublished - Nov 1 2017

Fingerprint

community health
Polyphenols
Body Composition
Hispanic Americans
physical activity
body composition
polyphenols
Exercise
nutrition
Health
body mass index
resveratrol
Body Mass Index
obesity
Obesity
Linear Models
biomarkers
urine
Biomarkers
Urine

Keywords

  • Body fat
  • Doubly labeled water
  • Hispanic/Latino
  • Obesity
  • Polyphenols

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Medicine (miscellaneous)
  • Nutrition and Dietetics
  • Food Science

Cite this

The relation between polyphenols and body composition in US Hispanics/Latinos : Results from the Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos (HCHS/SOL) Study of Latinos Nutrition And Physical Activity Assessment Study (SOLNAS). / Makarem, Nour; Mossavar-Rahmani, Yasmin; Sotres-Alvarez, Daniela; Hua, Simin; Wong, William W.; Van Horn, Linda; Daviglus, Martha L.; Franke, Adrian A.; Gellman, Marc D.; C.Kaplan, Robert; Beasley, Jeannette M.

In: Current Developments in Nutrition, Vol. 1, No. 11, e001115, 01.11.2017.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Makarem, Nour ; Mossavar-Rahmani, Yasmin ; Sotres-Alvarez, Daniela ; Hua, Simin ; Wong, William W. ; Van Horn, Linda ; Daviglus, Martha L. ; Franke, Adrian A. ; Gellman, Marc D. ; C.Kaplan, Robert ; Beasley, Jeannette M. / The relation between polyphenols and body composition in US Hispanics/Latinos : Results from the Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos (HCHS/SOL) Study of Latinos Nutrition And Physical Activity Assessment Study (SOLNAS). In: Current Developments in Nutrition. 2017 ; Vol. 1, No. 11.
@article{b0bf4a7da9e046fcb3590cb259ed9d95,
title = "The relation between polyphenols and body composition in US Hispanics/Latinos: Results from the Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos (HCHS/SOL) Study of Latinos Nutrition And Physical Activity Assessment Study (SOLNAS)",
abstract = "Background: Polyphenols offer high antioxidant potential that may protect against chronic diseases. Epidemiologic evidence documenting their influence on body composition and obesity risk is limited, particularly among Hispanics/Latinos who are disproportionately prone to obesity. Objectives: The aims of this study were to evaluate cross-sectional associations of urinary polyphenols with body mass index (BMI) and body fat percentage ({\%}BF) in a diverse Hispanic/ Latino population and to assess the reliability of polyphenol measurements. Methods: Participants were 442 adults from the Study of Latinos/Nutrition and Physical Activity Assessment Study (SOLNAS) aged 18-74 y. Doubly labeled water was used as an objective recovery biomarker of energy. Polyphenol excretion from 24-h urine samples was assessed. Measures were repeated in a subsample (n = 90) to provide a reliability measure. Anthropometric measures were obtained by trained personnel, and {\%}BF was measured by 18 O dilution. Linear regression models were used to evaluate multivariable associations between body composition and polyphenols. Spearman correlation coefficients between BMI and {\%}BF with polyphenols and intraclass correlation coefficients (ICCs) between polyphenol measures were computed. Results: A weak correlation was observed for resveratrol and {\%}BF (r = -0.11, P = 0.02). In multivariable-adjusted regression models, weak inverse associations were observed for resveratrol and urolithin A with {\%}BF [β ± SE: -0.010 ± 0.004 (P = 0.007) and -0.004 ± 0.002 (P = 0.03), respectively]. For every 50{\%} increase in these urinary polyphenols, there was a 1{\%}and 0.4{\%} decrease in {\%}BF. Urolithin A was inversely associated with BMI ( β ± SE:-0.004 ± 0.002; P = 0.02) and with 5{\%} lower odds of obesity in models not adjusted for total energy expenditure (TEE; OR: 0.95; 95{\%} CI: 0.91, 0.99; P = 0.02). For every 50{\%} increase in urolithin A, there was a 0.4-unit decrease in BMI. Associations were attenuated after adjustment for TEE. Reliability study findings were indicative of weak to moderate correlations (ICCs: 0.11-0.65), representing a degree of within-person variation in polyphenol biomarkers. Conclusions: Although associations were weak, resveratrol and urolithin A were inversely associated with obesity. Repeated polyphenol urine measures could clarify their long-term impact on body adiposity.",
keywords = "Body fat, Doubly labeled water, Hispanic/Latino, Obesity, Polyphenols",
author = "Nour Makarem and Yasmin Mossavar-Rahmani and Daniela Sotres-Alvarez and Simin Hua and Wong, {William W.} and {Van Horn}, Linda and Daviglus, {Martha L.} and Franke, {Adrian A.} and Gellman, {Marc D.} and Robert C.Kaplan and Beasley, {Jeannette M.}",
year = "2017",
month = "11",
day = "1",
doi = "10.3945/cdn.117.001115",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "1",
journal = "Current Developments in Nutrition",
issn = "2475-2991",
publisher = "Oxford University Press",
number = "11",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - The relation between polyphenols and body composition in US Hispanics/Latinos

T2 - Results from the Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos (HCHS/SOL) Study of Latinos Nutrition And Physical Activity Assessment Study (SOLNAS)

AU - Makarem, Nour

AU - Mossavar-Rahmani, Yasmin

AU - Sotres-Alvarez, Daniela

AU - Hua, Simin

AU - Wong, William W.

AU - Van Horn, Linda

AU - Daviglus, Martha L.

AU - Franke, Adrian A.

AU - Gellman, Marc D.

AU - C.Kaplan, Robert

AU - Beasley, Jeannette M.

PY - 2017/11/1

Y1 - 2017/11/1

N2 - Background: Polyphenols offer high antioxidant potential that may protect against chronic diseases. Epidemiologic evidence documenting their influence on body composition and obesity risk is limited, particularly among Hispanics/Latinos who are disproportionately prone to obesity. Objectives: The aims of this study were to evaluate cross-sectional associations of urinary polyphenols with body mass index (BMI) and body fat percentage (%BF) in a diverse Hispanic/ Latino population and to assess the reliability of polyphenol measurements. Methods: Participants were 442 adults from the Study of Latinos/Nutrition and Physical Activity Assessment Study (SOLNAS) aged 18-74 y. Doubly labeled water was used as an objective recovery biomarker of energy. Polyphenol excretion from 24-h urine samples was assessed. Measures were repeated in a subsample (n = 90) to provide a reliability measure. Anthropometric measures were obtained by trained personnel, and %BF was measured by 18 O dilution. Linear regression models were used to evaluate multivariable associations between body composition and polyphenols. Spearman correlation coefficients between BMI and %BF with polyphenols and intraclass correlation coefficients (ICCs) between polyphenol measures were computed. Results: A weak correlation was observed for resveratrol and %BF (r = -0.11, P = 0.02). In multivariable-adjusted regression models, weak inverse associations were observed for resveratrol and urolithin A with %BF [β ± SE: -0.010 ± 0.004 (P = 0.007) and -0.004 ± 0.002 (P = 0.03), respectively]. For every 50% increase in these urinary polyphenols, there was a 1%and 0.4% decrease in %BF. Urolithin A was inversely associated with BMI ( β ± SE:-0.004 ± 0.002; P = 0.02) and with 5% lower odds of obesity in models not adjusted for total energy expenditure (TEE; OR: 0.95; 95% CI: 0.91, 0.99; P = 0.02). For every 50% increase in urolithin A, there was a 0.4-unit decrease in BMI. Associations were attenuated after adjustment for TEE. Reliability study findings were indicative of weak to moderate correlations (ICCs: 0.11-0.65), representing a degree of within-person variation in polyphenol biomarkers. Conclusions: Although associations were weak, resveratrol and urolithin A were inversely associated with obesity. Repeated polyphenol urine measures could clarify their long-term impact on body adiposity.

AB - Background: Polyphenols offer high antioxidant potential that may protect against chronic diseases. Epidemiologic evidence documenting their influence on body composition and obesity risk is limited, particularly among Hispanics/Latinos who are disproportionately prone to obesity. Objectives: The aims of this study were to evaluate cross-sectional associations of urinary polyphenols with body mass index (BMI) and body fat percentage (%BF) in a diverse Hispanic/ Latino population and to assess the reliability of polyphenol measurements. Methods: Participants were 442 adults from the Study of Latinos/Nutrition and Physical Activity Assessment Study (SOLNAS) aged 18-74 y. Doubly labeled water was used as an objective recovery biomarker of energy. Polyphenol excretion from 24-h urine samples was assessed. Measures were repeated in a subsample (n = 90) to provide a reliability measure. Anthropometric measures were obtained by trained personnel, and %BF was measured by 18 O dilution. Linear regression models were used to evaluate multivariable associations between body composition and polyphenols. Spearman correlation coefficients between BMI and %BF with polyphenols and intraclass correlation coefficients (ICCs) between polyphenol measures were computed. Results: A weak correlation was observed for resveratrol and %BF (r = -0.11, P = 0.02). In multivariable-adjusted regression models, weak inverse associations were observed for resveratrol and urolithin A with %BF [β ± SE: -0.010 ± 0.004 (P = 0.007) and -0.004 ± 0.002 (P = 0.03), respectively]. For every 50% increase in these urinary polyphenols, there was a 1%and 0.4% decrease in %BF. Urolithin A was inversely associated with BMI ( β ± SE:-0.004 ± 0.002; P = 0.02) and with 5% lower odds of obesity in models not adjusted for total energy expenditure (TEE; OR: 0.95; 95% CI: 0.91, 0.99; P = 0.02). For every 50% increase in urolithin A, there was a 0.4-unit decrease in BMI. Associations were attenuated after adjustment for TEE. Reliability study findings were indicative of weak to moderate correlations (ICCs: 0.11-0.65), representing a degree of within-person variation in polyphenol biomarkers. Conclusions: Although associations were weak, resveratrol and urolithin A were inversely associated with obesity. Repeated polyphenol urine measures could clarify their long-term impact on body adiposity.

KW - Body fat

KW - Doubly labeled water

KW - Hispanic/Latino

KW - Obesity

KW - Polyphenols

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85063310644&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=85063310644&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.3945/cdn.117.001115

DO - 10.3945/cdn.117.001115

M3 - Article

AN - SCOPUS:85063310644

VL - 1

JO - Current Developments in Nutrition

JF - Current Developments in Nutrition

SN - 2475-2991

IS - 11

M1 - e001115

ER -