THE CHARCOT LIBRARY was officially created at the Salpêtrière Hospital in 1907 after the donation of the private library of Jean-Martin Charcot, which Dr. Charcot had accumulated progressively throughout his professional career. Increased by several other endowments (the most important being the collection of the Resident's Library, begun in 1886) and other private donations, the library became officially affiliated with the Paris VI University in 1985. It now functions as an entity oriented toward the neurosciences and offers a large number of 19th-century books (including all of Charcot's manuscripts) and more recent documents. Digitization of the most classic holdings, including atlases, will soon make them accessible through the library's web site.
|Original language||English (US)|
|Number of pages||6|
|Publication status||Published - Feb 1 2003|
- History of medicine
- Jean-Martin Charcot
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Clinical Neurology