Rabbit anaphylaxis - An interesting case report

P. Kapur, A. Khadavi, B. Silverman, A. T. Schneider

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Rabbits are an unusual cause for allergic hypersensitivity; however, this domesticated animal must be considered in the differential diagnosis for symptoms ranging from rhinitis to anaphylaxis. We report an unusual case of allergic hypersensitivity to rabbits. This case involves a 6-year-old female who experienced anaphylaxis after oral ingestion of a rabbit that she had previously been sensitized to as a pet. This clinical scenario is an important one, as it alerts the clinician to the importance of recognizing rabbits as a potential source for allergens. Although it is extremely uncommon to have clinical manifestations from domesticated rabbits, it remains one of the possibilities for allergic disease, and a proper and thorough history should always be taken in an effort to shed light on the diagnosis. This case also demonstrates that aerosolized antigens crossreacting with antigen ingestion must always be included in the differential diagnosis of atopic disease.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)31-34
Number of pages4
JournalPediatric Asthma, Allergy and Immunology
Volume21
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - Mar 1 2008
Externally publishedYes

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Pediatrics, Perinatology, and Child Health
  • Immunology and Allergy
  • Pulmonary and Respiratory Medicine

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Rabbit anaphylaxis - An interesting case report'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this