Pathologic outcomes following urethral diverticulectomy in women

Melissa A. Laudano, Asha E. Jamzadeh, Claire Dunphy, Richard K. Lee, Brian D. Robinson, Renuka Tyagi, Steven A. Kaplan, Alexis E. Te, Bilal Chughtai

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

5 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Purpose. Although most urethral diverticula in women are benign, there is a subset of patients who develop malignant changes. Limited studies report the pathologic findings associated with this relatively rare entity. We describe the clinicopathologic findings of women who underwent urethral diverticulectomy. Methods. A consecutive series of 29 women who underwent surgical resection of a urethral diverticulum were identified between 1992 and 2013. Clinical and radiographic data was collected by retrospective review of patient medical records. All pathological slides were rereviewed by a single urologic pathologist. Results. Of the 14 women with clinical data, 9 (64%) presented with urgency, 7 (50%) with urinary frequency, 3 (21%) with urinary incontinence, and 3 (21%) with dysuria. Mean diverticular size was 2.3 (±1.4) cm. Although one patient (3%) had invasive adenocarcinoma on final pathology, the remaining 28 cases (97%) demonstrated benign features. The most common findings were inflammation (55%) and nephrogenic adenoma (21%). Conclusions. Although most urethral diverticula in women are benign, there is a subset of patients who develop malignancy in association with the diverticulum. In this series, 97% of cases had a benign histology. These findings are important when counseling patients regarding treatment options.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Article number861940
JournalAdvances in Urology
DOIs
StatePublished - Jan 1 2014
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Diverticulum
Dysuria
Urinary Incontinence
Adenoma
Medical Records
Counseling
Histology
Adenocarcinoma
Pathology
Inflammation
Neoplasms
Therapeutics

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Obstetrics and Gynecology
  • Urology

Cite this

Laudano, M. A., Jamzadeh, A. E., Dunphy, C., Lee, R. K., Robinson, B. D., Tyagi, R., ... Chughtai, B. (2014). Pathologic outcomes following urethral diverticulectomy in women. Advances in Urology, [861940]. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/861940

Pathologic outcomes following urethral diverticulectomy in women. / Laudano, Melissa A.; Jamzadeh, Asha E.; Dunphy, Claire; Lee, Richard K.; Robinson, Brian D.; Tyagi, Renuka; Kaplan, Steven A.; Te, Alexis E.; Chughtai, Bilal.

In: Advances in Urology, 01.01.2014.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Laudano, MA, Jamzadeh, AE, Dunphy, C, Lee, RK, Robinson, BD, Tyagi, R, Kaplan, SA, Te, AE & Chughtai, B 2014, 'Pathologic outcomes following urethral diverticulectomy in women', Advances in Urology. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/861940
Laudano, Melissa A. ; Jamzadeh, Asha E. ; Dunphy, Claire ; Lee, Richard K. ; Robinson, Brian D. ; Tyagi, Renuka ; Kaplan, Steven A. ; Te, Alexis E. ; Chughtai, Bilal. / Pathologic outcomes following urethral diverticulectomy in women. In: Advances in Urology. 2014.
@article{1ac7787e5297490e92548f2cba521dba,
title = "Pathologic outcomes following urethral diverticulectomy in women",
abstract = "Purpose. Although most urethral diverticula in women are benign, there is a subset of patients who develop malignant changes. Limited studies report the pathologic findings associated with this relatively rare entity. We describe the clinicopathologic findings of women who underwent urethral diverticulectomy. Methods. A consecutive series of 29 women who underwent surgical resection of a urethral diverticulum were identified between 1992 and 2013. Clinical and radiographic data was collected by retrospective review of patient medical records. All pathological slides were rereviewed by a single urologic pathologist. Results. Of the 14 women with clinical data, 9 (64{\%}) presented with urgency, 7 (50{\%}) with urinary frequency, 3 (21{\%}) with urinary incontinence, and 3 (21{\%}) with dysuria. Mean diverticular size was 2.3 (±1.4) cm. Although one patient (3{\%}) had invasive adenocarcinoma on final pathology, the remaining 28 cases (97{\%}) demonstrated benign features. The most common findings were inflammation (55{\%}) and nephrogenic adenoma (21{\%}). Conclusions. Although most urethral diverticula in women are benign, there is a subset of patients who develop malignancy in association with the diverticulum. In this series, 97{\%} of cases had a benign histology. These findings are important when counseling patients regarding treatment options.",
author = "Laudano, {Melissa A.} and Jamzadeh, {Asha E.} and Claire Dunphy and Lee, {Richard K.} and Robinson, {Brian D.} and Renuka Tyagi and Kaplan, {Steven A.} and Te, {Alexis E.} and Bilal Chughtai",
year = "2014",
month = "1",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1155/2014/861940",
language = "English (US)",
journal = "Advances in Urology",
issn = "1687-6369",
publisher = "Hindawi Publishing Corporation",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Pathologic outcomes following urethral diverticulectomy in women

AU - Laudano, Melissa A.

AU - Jamzadeh, Asha E.

AU - Dunphy, Claire

AU - Lee, Richard K.

AU - Robinson, Brian D.

AU - Tyagi, Renuka

AU - Kaplan, Steven A.

AU - Te, Alexis E.

AU - Chughtai, Bilal

PY - 2014/1/1

Y1 - 2014/1/1

N2 - Purpose. Although most urethral diverticula in women are benign, there is a subset of patients who develop malignant changes. Limited studies report the pathologic findings associated with this relatively rare entity. We describe the clinicopathologic findings of women who underwent urethral diverticulectomy. Methods. A consecutive series of 29 women who underwent surgical resection of a urethral diverticulum were identified between 1992 and 2013. Clinical and radiographic data was collected by retrospective review of patient medical records. All pathological slides were rereviewed by a single urologic pathologist. Results. Of the 14 women with clinical data, 9 (64%) presented with urgency, 7 (50%) with urinary frequency, 3 (21%) with urinary incontinence, and 3 (21%) with dysuria. Mean diverticular size was 2.3 (±1.4) cm. Although one patient (3%) had invasive adenocarcinoma on final pathology, the remaining 28 cases (97%) demonstrated benign features. The most common findings were inflammation (55%) and nephrogenic adenoma (21%). Conclusions. Although most urethral diverticula in women are benign, there is a subset of patients who develop malignancy in association with the diverticulum. In this series, 97% of cases had a benign histology. These findings are important when counseling patients regarding treatment options.

AB - Purpose. Although most urethral diverticula in women are benign, there is a subset of patients who develop malignant changes. Limited studies report the pathologic findings associated with this relatively rare entity. We describe the clinicopathologic findings of women who underwent urethral diverticulectomy. Methods. A consecutive series of 29 women who underwent surgical resection of a urethral diverticulum were identified between 1992 and 2013. Clinical and radiographic data was collected by retrospective review of patient medical records. All pathological slides were rereviewed by a single urologic pathologist. Results. Of the 14 women with clinical data, 9 (64%) presented with urgency, 7 (50%) with urinary frequency, 3 (21%) with urinary incontinence, and 3 (21%) with dysuria. Mean diverticular size was 2.3 (±1.4) cm. Although one patient (3%) had invasive adenocarcinoma on final pathology, the remaining 28 cases (97%) demonstrated benign features. The most common findings were inflammation (55%) and nephrogenic adenoma (21%). Conclusions. Although most urethral diverticula in women are benign, there is a subset of patients who develop malignancy in association with the diverticulum. In this series, 97% of cases had a benign histology. These findings are important when counseling patients regarding treatment options.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84900006106&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84900006106&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1155/2014/861940

DO - 10.1155/2014/861940

M3 - Article

JO - Advances in Urology

JF - Advances in Urology

SN - 1687-6369

M1 - 861940

ER -