Hepatitis C virus infection and biological false-positive syphilis tests

Michael Augenbraun, A. French, M. Glesby, L. Sanchez-Keeland, M. Young, R. Greenblatt, Anjali Sharma

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

14 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background: The diagnosis of syphilis requires two-step serological testing. Not infrequently, sensitive screening tests are reactive but are not confirmed by more specific confirmatory tests yielding a biological false positive (BFP). This study sought to describe the prevalence of BFP in a large population of hepatitis C virus (HCV)-infected and uninfected women. Methods: A cross-sectional serosurvey of HIVseropositive and HIV-seronegative women enrolled in the Women's Interagency HIV Study, a multicentre collaborative study of the natural history of HIV in women. Results: Among HCV-infected women 4% had a BFP compared with 1% among those who were HCV uninfected (odds ratio (OR) 3.3, 95% CI 2.1 to 5.1). Controlling for both HIV infection and a history of intravenous drug use among all tests for syphilis a BFP also occurred more commonly in HCV-infected women compared with HCV-uninfected women (6% vs 1%, OR 7.62, 95% CI 1.9 to 12.5). Conclusion: HCV infection is associated with various effects on immune function including alterations in serological test results. Women with HCV are more likely to have a BFP syphilis test than women without HCV.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)97-98
Number of pages2
JournalSexually Transmitted Infections
Volume86
Issue number2
DOIs
StatePublished - Apr 2010
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Virus Diseases
Syphilis
Hepacivirus
HIV
Odds Ratio
Serologic Tests
Natural History
Multicenter Studies
HIV Infections

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Dermatology
  • Infectious Diseases

Cite this

Augenbraun, M., French, A., Glesby, M., Sanchez-Keeland, L., Young, M., Greenblatt, R., & Sharma, A. (2010). Hepatitis C virus infection and biological false-positive syphilis tests. Sexually Transmitted Infections, 86(2), 97-98. https://doi.org/10.1136/sti.2009.040360

Hepatitis C virus infection and biological false-positive syphilis tests. / Augenbraun, Michael; French, A.; Glesby, M.; Sanchez-Keeland, L.; Young, M.; Greenblatt, R.; Sharma, Anjali.

In: Sexually Transmitted Infections, Vol. 86, No. 2, 04.2010, p. 97-98.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Augenbraun, M, French, A, Glesby, M, Sanchez-Keeland, L, Young, M, Greenblatt, R & Sharma, A 2010, 'Hepatitis C virus infection and biological false-positive syphilis tests', Sexually Transmitted Infections, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 97-98. https://doi.org/10.1136/sti.2009.040360
Augenbraun M, French A, Glesby M, Sanchez-Keeland L, Young M, Greenblatt R et al. Hepatitis C virus infection and biological false-positive syphilis tests. Sexually Transmitted Infections. 2010 Apr;86(2):97-98. https://doi.org/10.1136/sti.2009.040360
Augenbraun, Michael ; French, A. ; Glesby, M. ; Sanchez-Keeland, L. ; Young, M. ; Greenblatt, R. ; Sharma, Anjali. / Hepatitis C virus infection and biological false-positive syphilis tests. In: Sexually Transmitted Infections. 2010 ; Vol. 86, No. 2. pp. 97-98.
@article{9fe720280ab1410db38d5aed7e470fca,
title = "Hepatitis C virus infection and biological false-positive syphilis tests",
abstract = "Background: The diagnosis of syphilis requires two-step serological testing. Not infrequently, sensitive screening tests are reactive but are not confirmed by more specific confirmatory tests yielding a biological false positive (BFP). This study sought to describe the prevalence of BFP in a large population of hepatitis C virus (HCV)-infected and uninfected women. Methods: A cross-sectional serosurvey of HIVseropositive and HIV-seronegative women enrolled in the Women's Interagency HIV Study, a multicentre collaborative study of the natural history of HIV in women. Results: Among HCV-infected women 4{\%} had a BFP compared with 1{\%} among those who were HCV uninfected (odds ratio (OR) 3.3, 95{\%} CI 2.1 to 5.1). Controlling for both HIV infection and a history of intravenous drug use among all tests for syphilis a BFP also occurred more commonly in HCV-infected women compared with HCV-uninfected women (6{\%} vs 1{\%}, OR 7.62, 95{\%} CI 1.9 to 12.5). Conclusion: HCV infection is associated with various effects on immune function including alterations in serological test results. Women with HCV are more likely to have a BFP syphilis test than women without HCV.",
author = "Michael Augenbraun and A. French and M. Glesby and L. Sanchez-Keeland and M. Young and R. Greenblatt and Anjali Sharma",
year = "2010",
month = "4",
doi = "10.1136/sti.2009.040360",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "86",
pages = "97--98",
journal = "Sexually Transmitted Infections",
issn = "1368-4973",
publisher = "BMJ Publishing Group",
number = "2",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Hepatitis C virus infection and biological false-positive syphilis tests

AU - Augenbraun, Michael

AU - French, A.

AU - Glesby, M.

AU - Sanchez-Keeland, L.

AU - Young, M.

AU - Greenblatt, R.

AU - Sharma, Anjali

PY - 2010/4

Y1 - 2010/4

N2 - Background: The diagnosis of syphilis requires two-step serological testing. Not infrequently, sensitive screening tests are reactive but are not confirmed by more specific confirmatory tests yielding a biological false positive (BFP). This study sought to describe the prevalence of BFP in a large population of hepatitis C virus (HCV)-infected and uninfected women. Methods: A cross-sectional serosurvey of HIVseropositive and HIV-seronegative women enrolled in the Women's Interagency HIV Study, a multicentre collaborative study of the natural history of HIV in women. Results: Among HCV-infected women 4% had a BFP compared with 1% among those who were HCV uninfected (odds ratio (OR) 3.3, 95% CI 2.1 to 5.1). Controlling for both HIV infection and a history of intravenous drug use among all tests for syphilis a BFP also occurred more commonly in HCV-infected women compared with HCV-uninfected women (6% vs 1%, OR 7.62, 95% CI 1.9 to 12.5). Conclusion: HCV infection is associated with various effects on immune function including alterations in serological test results. Women with HCV are more likely to have a BFP syphilis test than women without HCV.

AB - Background: The diagnosis of syphilis requires two-step serological testing. Not infrequently, sensitive screening tests are reactive but are not confirmed by more specific confirmatory tests yielding a biological false positive (BFP). This study sought to describe the prevalence of BFP in a large population of hepatitis C virus (HCV)-infected and uninfected women. Methods: A cross-sectional serosurvey of HIVseropositive and HIV-seronegative women enrolled in the Women's Interagency HIV Study, a multicentre collaborative study of the natural history of HIV in women. Results: Among HCV-infected women 4% had a BFP compared with 1% among those who were HCV uninfected (odds ratio (OR) 3.3, 95% CI 2.1 to 5.1). Controlling for both HIV infection and a history of intravenous drug use among all tests for syphilis a BFP also occurred more commonly in HCV-infected women compared with HCV-uninfected women (6% vs 1%, OR 7.62, 95% CI 1.9 to 12.5). Conclusion: HCV infection is associated with various effects on immune function including alterations in serological test results. Women with HCV are more likely to have a BFP syphilis test than women without HCV.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=77950137459&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=77950137459&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1136/sti.2009.040360

DO - 10.1136/sti.2009.040360

M3 - Article

C2 - 20332367

AN - SCOPUS:77950137459

VL - 86

SP - 97

EP - 98

JO - Sexually Transmitted Infections

JF - Sexually Transmitted Infections

SN - 1368-4973

IS - 2

ER -