Epidemic of accidental carbon monoxide poisonings caused by snow- obstructed exhaust systems

R. Rao, M. Touger, P. Gennis, J. Tyrrell, J. Roche, E. J. Gallagher

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

11 Scopus citations

Abstract

We report a case series of accidental carbon monoxide poisonings caused by snow-obstructed automobile exhaust systems. Accumulation of more than 24 inches of snow contributed to the poisoning of 25 patients who were subsequently treated with hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Two illustrative cases are presented in greater detail, illustrating a life-threatening hazard associated with heavy snow accumulations.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)290-292
Number of pages3
JournalAnnals of Emergency Medicine
Volume29
Issue number2
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Jan 1 1997

    Fingerprint

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Emergency Medicine

Cite this