Comparison of 0.625-mm source computed tomographic images versus 5-mm thick reconstructed images in the evaluation for renal calculi in at-risk patients

Robert G. Berkenblit, David Hoenig, Daniel Lerer, Melanie Moses, Lloyd Minsky

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

3 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background and Purpose: CT has become a well-established modality in the evaluation of urinary calculi. The advent of multidetector CT (MDCT) scanners and submillimeter thick slice acquisitions has yielded CT images with even greater resolution. MDCT scanners allow for source data slice acquisition with submillimeter slice thickness. These source images can then be reconstructed to thicker slices for more convenient interpretation of the CT scan. Previous authors have looked at the effect of slice thickness on detection of urinary calculi. We investigated whether the thin slice source images yielded detection of additional stones and the potential significance of detecting these additional stones. Patients and Methods: Ninety-five consecutive patients who were referred to our outpatient imaging center for CT, with a clinical history placing them at risk for urinary calculi, were included in the study. Results: In 49 (52%) of the 95 patients, more calculi were visualized using the 0.625-mm thick images than with the 5-mm thick images. In 34 (69%) of these 49 patients, the additional findings were thought to be "clinically significant," while in the remaining 15 (31%) patients, the additional findings were not thought to be clinically significant. In 46 (48%) of the 95 patients, there were no additional urinary calculi identified on the 0.625-mm thick images compared with that observed on 5-mm thick images. Conclusion: The results from this study encourage reviewing the thin slice source images of MDCTs in patients at risk for urinary calculi, because important clinical decisions may hinge on the additional findings made on these images.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)238-241
Number of pages4
JournalJournal of Endourology
Volume27
Issue number2
DOIs
StatePublished - Feb 1 2013

Fingerprint

Kidney Calculi
Urinary Calculi
Information Storage and Retrieval
Calculi
Outpatients

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Urology

Cite this

Comparison of 0.625-mm source computed tomographic images versus 5-mm thick reconstructed images in the evaluation for renal calculi in at-risk patients. / Berkenblit, Robert G.; Hoenig, David; Lerer, Daniel; Moses, Melanie; Minsky, Lloyd.

In: Journal of Endourology, Vol. 27, No. 2, 01.02.2013, p. 238-241.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{bba542477361495c8670ddf0462c6960,
title = "Comparison of 0.625-mm source computed tomographic images versus 5-mm thick reconstructed images in the evaluation for renal calculi in at-risk patients",
abstract = "Background and Purpose: CT has become a well-established modality in the evaluation of urinary calculi. The advent of multidetector CT (MDCT) scanners and submillimeter thick slice acquisitions has yielded CT images with even greater resolution. MDCT scanners allow for source data slice acquisition with submillimeter slice thickness. These source images can then be reconstructed to thicker slices for more convenient interpretation of the CT scan. Previous authors have looked at the effect of slice thickness on detection of urinary calculi. We investigated whether the thin slice source images yielded detection of additional stones and the potential significance of detecting these additional stones. Patients and Methods: Ninety-five consecutive patients who were referred to our outpatient imaging center for CT, with a clinical history placing them at risk for urinary calculi, were included in the study. Results: In 49 (52{\%}) of the 95 patients, more calculi were visualized using the 0.625-mm thick images than with the 5-mm thick images. In 34 (69{\%}) of these 49 patients, the additional findings were thought to be {"}clinically significant,{"} while in the remaining 15 (31{\%}) patients, the additional findings were not thought to be clinically significant. In 46 (48{\%}) of the 95 patients, there were no additional urinary calculi identified on the 0.625-mm thick images compared with that observed on 5-mm thick images. Conclusion: The results from this study encourage reviewing the thin slice source images of MDCTs in patients at risk for urinary calculi, because important clinical decisions may hinge on the additional findings made on these images.",
author = "Berkenblit, {Robert G.} and David Hoenig and Daniel Lerer and Melanie Moses and Lloyd Minsky",
year = "2013",
month = "2",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1089/end.2012.0157",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "27",
pages = "238--241",
journal = "Journal of Endourology",
issn = "0892-7790",
publisher = "Mary Ann Liebert Inc.",
number = "2",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Comparison of 0.625-mm source computed tomographic images versus 5-mm thick reconstructed images in the evaluation for renal calculi in at-risk patients

AU - Berkenblit, Robert G.

AU - Hoenig, David

AU - Lerer, Daniel

AU - Moses, Melanie

AU - Minsky, Lloyd

PY - 2013/2/1

Y1 - 2013/2/1

N2 - Background and Purpose: CT has become a well-established modality in the evaluation of urinary calculi. The advent of multidetector CT (MDCT) scanners and submillimeter thick slice acquisitions has yielded CT images with even greater resolution. MDCT scanners allow for source data slice acquisition with submillimeter slice thickness. These source images can then be reconstructed to thicker slices for more convenient interpretation of the CT scan. Previous authors have looked at the effect of slice thickness on detection of urinary calculi. We investigated whether the thin slice source images yielded detection of additional stones and the potential significance of detecting these additional stones. Patients and Methods: Ninety-five consecutive patients who were referred to our outpatient imaging center for CT, with a clinical history placing them at risk for urinary calculi, were included in the study. Results: In 49 (52%) of the 95 patients, more calculi were visualized using the 0.625-mm thick images than with the 5-mm thick images. In 34 (69%) of these 49 patients, the additional findings were thought to be "clinically significant," while in the remaining 15 (31%) patients, the additional findings were not thought to be clinically significant. In 46 (48%) of the 95 patients, there were no additional urinary calculi identified on the 0.625-mm thick images compared with that observed on 5-mm thick images. Conclusion: The results from this study encourage reviewing the thin slice source images of MDCTs in patients at risk for urinary calculi, because important clinical decisions may hinge on the additional findings made on these images.

AB - Background and Purpose: CT has become a well-established modality in the evaluation of urinary calculi. The advent of multidetector CT (MDCT) scanners and submillimeter thick slice acquisitions has yielded CT images with even greater resolution. MDCT scanners allow for source data slice acquisition with submillimeter slice thickness. These source images can then be reconstructed to thicker slices for more convenient interpretation of the CT scan. Previous authors have looked at the effect of slice thickness on detection of urinary calculi. We investigated whether the thin slice source images yielded detection of additional stones and the potential significance of detecting these additional stones. Patients and Methods: Ninety-five consecutive patients who were referred to our outpatient imaging center for CT, with a clinical history placing them at risk for urinary calculi, were included in the study. Results: In 49 (52%) of the 95 patients, more calculi were visualized using the 0.625-mm thick images than with the 5-mm thick images. In 34 (69%) of these 49 patients, the additional findings were thought to be "clinically significant," while in the remaining 15 (31%) patients, the additional findings were not thought to be clinically significant. In 46 (48%) of the 95 patients, there were no additional urinary calculi identified on the 0.625-mm thick images compared with that observed on 5-mm thick images. Conclusion: The results from this study encourage reviewing the thin slice source images of MDCTs in patients at risk for urinary calculi, because important clinical decisions may hinge on the additional findings made on these images.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84873898087&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84873898087&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1089/end.2012.0157

DO - 10.1089/end.2012.0157

M3 - Article

C2 - 22849789

AN - SCOPUS:84873898087

VL - 27

SP - 238

EP - 241

JO - Journal of Endourology

JF - Journal of Endourology

SN - 0892-7790

IS - 2

ER -