Catheter ablation of ventricular tachycardia in ischemic cardiomyopathy: Impact of concomitant amiodarone therapy on short- and long-term clinical outcomes

Luigi Di Biase, Jorge Romero, Xianfeng Du, Sanghamitra Mohanty, Chintan Trivedi, Domenico G. Della Rocca, Kavisha Patel, Javier Sanchez, Ruike Yang, Isabella Alviz, Prasant Mohanty, Carola Gianni, Nicola Tarantino, Xiao Dong Zhang, Rodney Horton, Amin Al-Ahmad, Dhanunjaya Lakkireddy, David J. Burkhardt, Minglong Chen, Andrea Natale

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

1 Scopus citations

Abstract

Background: Substrate catheter ablation of scar-related ventricular tachycardia (VT) is a widely accepted therapeutic option for patients with ischemic cardiomyopathy (ICM). Objective: The purpose of this study was to investigate whether concomitant amiodarone therapy affects procedural outcomes. Methods: A total of 134 consecutive patients (89% male; age 66 ± 10 years) with ICM undergoing catheter ablation of VT were included in the study. Patients were sorted by amiodarone therapy before ablation. In all patients, a substrate-based catheter ablation (endocardial ± epicardial) in sinus rhythm abolishing all “abnormal” electrograms within the scar was performed. The endpoint of the procedure was VT noninducibility. After the ablation procedure, all antiarrhythmic medications were discontinued. All patients had an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator, and recurrences were analyzed through the device. Results: In 84 patients (63%), the ablation was performed on amiodarone; the remaining 50 patients (37%) were off amiodarone. Patients had comparable baseline characteristics. Mean scar size area was 143.6 ± 44.9 cm2 on amiodarone vs 139.2 ± 36.8 cm2 off amiodarone (P =.56). More radiofrequency time was necessary to achieve noninducibility in the off-amiodarone group compared to the on-amiodarone group (68.1 ± 20.1 minutes vs 51.5 ± 19.7 minutes; P <.001). In addition, due to persistent VT inducibility, more patients in the off-amiodarone group required epicardial ablation than in the on-amiodarone group (13/50 [26%] vs 5/84 [6%], respectively; P <.001). During mean follow-up of 23.9 ± 11.6 months, recurrence of any ventricular arrhythmias off antiarrhythmic drugs was 44% (37/84) in the on-amiodarone group vs 22% (11/50) in the off-amiodarone group (P =.013). Conclusion: Albeit, VT noninducibility after substrate catheter ablation for scar related VT was achieved faster, with less radiofrequency time and less need for epicardial ablation in patients taking amiodarone, these patients had significantly higher VT recurrence at long-term follow-up when this medication was discontinued.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)885-893
Number of pages9
JournalHeart Rhythm
Volume18
Issue number6
DOIs
StatePublished - Jun 2021

Keywords

  • Amiodarone
  • Antiarrhythmic drugs
  • Catheter ablation
  • Electrical storm
  • Ischemic cardiomyopathy
  • Ventricular tachycardia
  • Ventricular tachycardia storm

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine
  • Physiology (medical)

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Catheter ablation of ventricular tachycardia in ischemic cardiomyopathy: Impact of concomitant amiodarone therapy on short- and long-term clinical outcomes'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this