Objectives: This is a prospective evaluation of percutaneous interventions (PTAs) performed by the antegrade femoral approach in diabetic patients with critical limb ischemia (CLI) and ostial superficial femoral artery (SFA) lesions. Methods: The puncture site was selected according to duplex scan analysis and physical examination (brachial, crossover, or antegrade). In cases of antegrade approach, a bare needle angiogram of the femoral bifurcation was performed in order to have an adequate distance (>2 cm) from the target lesion. Results: Between January 2010 and August 2011, 64 diabetic patients underwent PTA for ostial SFA lesions.Crossover or brachial approach was electively adopted in 19/64 (30%) patients. The antegrade bare needle angiogram was performed in the remaining 45/64 (70%) patients. In two patients, the vascular anatomy was considered not suitable for antegrade approach, and they were treated in crossover. Technical success was achieved in 38/45 (84%) of patients. During hospital stay, one patient had SFA stent thrombosis treated with urgent bypass grafting. Conclusions: The antegrade approach can be safely performed in most patients presenting with CLI and ostial SFA lesions. The use of clinical and radiographic criteria correctly identifies patients with ostial SFA lesions suitable for an antegrade approach in 42/44 (95%) of cases.
- Critical limb ischemia
- Femoral artery
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine