Aluminium phosphide (AP) is a pesticide used against rodents and insects. Exposure of AP to water releases phosphine gas. Phosphine is a highly toxic mitochondrial poison to which there is no known antidote. We report a case of a 3-year-old female with accidental home exposure to AP, which resulted in cardiac arrest, who was successfully supported with extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO).
- aluminium phosphide
- multi-organ failure
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging
- Safety Research
- Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine
- Advanced and Specialized Nursing