A persistent clinical problem: Profile of the term infant with significant respiratory complications

Adiel Fleischer, Akolisa Anyaegbunam, Denise Guidetti, Georgia Randolph, Irwin R. Merkatz

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

25 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

A group of 72 term infants with significant respiratory complications were compared with 11,428 term infants delivered during the same time period and without respiratory morbidity. Compared with controls, the study group had a higher incidence of postdatism (36 versus 7%), intrauterine growth retardation (33 versus 8%), meconium-stained amniotic fluid (AF) (90 versus 9%), fetal heart rate (FHR) abnormalities upon admission to labor and delivery (58 versus 7%), and low 5-minute Apgar scores (46 versus 1.4%). Even in the presence of normal intrapartum FHR and 5-minute Apgar scores, infants with meconium-stained AF had an incidence of respiratory complications 100 times higher than those with clear AF. Of infants with a low 5-minute Apgar score at birth, only 20% went on to develop respiratory complications. The remaining 80% had a significantly lower incidence of postdatism, intrauterine growth retardation, and meconium-stained AF.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)185-190
Number of pages6
JournalObstetrics and Gynecology
Volume79
Issue number2
StatePublished - 1992

Fingerprint

Amniotic Fluid
Meconium
Apgar Score
Fetal Heart Rate
Fetal Growth Retardation
Incidence
Congenital Heart Defects
Parturition
Morbidity
Control Groups

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Obstetrics and Gynecology

Cite this

A persistent clinical problem : Profile of the term infant with significant respiratory complications. / Fleischer, Adiel; Anyaegbunam, Akolisa; Guidetti, Denise; Randolph, Georgia; Merkatz, Irwin R.

In: Obstetrics and Gynecology, Vol. 79, No. 2, 1992, p. 185-190.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Fleischer, A, Anyaegbunam, A, Guidetti, D, Randolph, G & Merkatz, IR 1992, 'A persistent clinical problem: Profile of the term infant with significant respiratory complications', Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 185-190.
Fleischer, Adiel ; Anyaegbunam, Akolisa ; Guidetti, Denise ; Randolph, Georgia ; Merkatz, Irwin R. / A persistent clinical problem : Profile of the term infant with significant respiratory complications. In: Obstetrics and Gynecology. 1992 ; Vol. 79, No. 2. pp. 185-190.
@article{773195e052714284837dc02d4ebda4c2,
title = "A persistent clinical problem: Profile of the term infant with significant respiratory complications",
abstract = "A group of 72 term infants with significant respiratory complications were compared with 11,428 term infants delivered during the same time period and without respiratory morbidity. Compared with controls, the study group had a higher incidence of postdatism (36 versus 7{\%}), intrauterine growth retardation (33 versus 8{\%}), meconium-stained amniotic fluid (AF) (90 versus 9{\%}), fetal heart rate (FHR) abnormalities upon admission to labor and delivery (58 versus 7{\%}), and low 5-minute Apgar scores (46 versus 1.4{\%}). Even in the presence of normal intrapartum FHR and 5-minute Apgar scores, infants with meconium-stained AF had an incidence of respiratory complications 100 times higher than those with clear AF. Of infants with a low 5-minute Apgar score at birth, only 20{\%} went on to develop respiratory complications. The remaining 80{\%} had a significantly lower incidence of postdatism, intrauterine growth retardation, and meconium-stained AF.",
author = "Adiel Fleischer and Akolisa Anyaegbunam and Denise Guidetti and Georgia Randolph and Merkatz, {Irwin R.}",
year = "1992",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "79",
pages = "185--190",
journal = "Obstetrics and Gynecology",
issn = "0029-7844",
publisher = "Lippincott Williams and Wilkins",
number = "2",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - A persistent clinical problem

T2 - Profile of the term infant with significant respiratory complications

AU - Fleischer, Adiel

AU - Anyaegbunam, Akolisa

AU - Guidetti, Denise

AU - Randolph, Georgia

AU - Merkatz, Irwin R.

PY - 1992

Y1 - 1992

N2 - A group of 72 term infants with significant respiratory complications were compared with 11,428 term infants delivered during the same time period and without respiratory morbidity. Compared with controls, the study group had a higher incidence of postdatism (36 versus 7%), intrauterine growth retardation (33 versus 8%), meconium-stained amniotic fluid (AF) (90 versus 9%), fetal heart rate (FHR) abnormalities upon admission to labor and delivery (58 versus 7%), and low 5-minute Apgar scores (46 versus 1.4%). Even in the presence of normal intrapartum FHR and 5-minute Apgar scores, infants with meconium-stained AF had an incidence of respiratory complications 100 times higher than those with clear AF. Of infants with a low 5-minute Apgar score at birth, only 20% went on to develop respiratory complications. The remaining 80% had a significantly lower incidence of postdatism, intrauterine growth retardation, and meconium-stained AF.

AB - A group of 72 term infants with significant respiratory complications were compared with 11,428 term infants delivered during the same time period and without respiratory morbidity. Compared with controls, the study group had a higher incidence of postdatism (36 versus 7%), intrauterine growth retardation (33 versus 8%), meconium-stained amniotic fluid (AF) (90 versus 9%), fetal heart rate (FHR) abnormalities upon admission to labor and delivery (58 versus 7%), and low 5-minute Apgar scores (46 versus 1.4%). Even in the presence of normal intrapartum FHR and 5-minute Apgar scores, infants with meconium-stained AF had an incidence of respiratory complications 100 times higher than those with clear AF. Of infants with a low 5-minute Apgar score at birth, only 20% went on to develop respiratory complications. The remaining 80% had a significantly lower incidence of postdatism, intrauterine growth retardation, and meconium-stained AF.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0026526833&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0026526833&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 1731283

AN - SCOPUS:0026526833

VL - 79

SP - 185

EP - 190

JO - Obstetrics and Gynecology

JF - Obstetrics and Gynecology

SN - 0029-7844

IS - 2

ER -